Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day.

Sunday was mother's day and I was bored. I went to go do the usual Sunday thing, you know Church and all, but the day that is ever so affectionately dedicated to those that we refer to as mom was probably one of the most lack luster Sundays I've had in a long time.

I got to church a little later than normal cause I just mover and my timing is still a little off. I sat in a different spot than I normally do and that I think is what started to throw off my aura. the instructor for the day was one who will be called Mr. Let's-read-straight-out-0f-the-manual-so-i-don't-have-to-really-prepare-my-lesson-at-all Jones. We'll say Jonesy for short. he's a good guy and probably fun to hang out with but has no idea that 8:45 in the morning is not the most efficient way to help people enlighten themselves spiritually by reading for the entire lesson. I hate to have to get up and leave for the most of a lesson but, it was either me get up and leave or stand up half way through and say something loud and inappropriate to resurrect the attention of the quorum. When I came back in for the last five minutes of the reading I found that more than half the quorum was asleep. I was in a downtrodden state. I was hoping for a bit of improvement, but was sadly let down.

Sunday school was OK. The lesson was good, a little thought provoking but nothing to make me want to be a better person.

Sacrament meeting was also alright. The first speaker attempted to make some jokes about how he doesn't know what he'd do with out his mom. Which is funny cause he's 26 or 27 and still living at home and wondering why he doesn't have a girlfriend. He's also a very self righteous person and feels it his obligation to let everyone know that what they're doing is wrong. I can't remember who it was that said it but I read the talk while on my mission but it said that you can't raise anyone to a higher plain than the one that you're on. Let's just say trendy-haircut-non heterosexual-jacket-wearing-boy and his worldly focus mobile should shut the hell up before he gets himself in trouble. Enough said.

The second speaker was funny and the final speaker was short so the rest of the meeting was good. I had to stay after church for a little while because I'm a nice guy and choose to lend my automotive knowledge whenever possible. I went home, changed, went to my parents house and took a nap until my family arrived ate some food and then went went home. I was to say the least shocked at the eventfulness of the day. I'm still trying to think what could I have done differently to make the day better and in the end I think that there was nothing that I could have done to make it any better. It's depressing. I hope that this message reaches the ears of those that make a difference and that said people will take the necessary actions. Till next time, PapaBear.

5 comments:

Fedaykin said...

Ahhh. Biting, stinging, cutting. All that I think but am too nice to say publicly. Oops, I guess I just did. Here's the thing, I am hungry on Sunday, I need nourishment. I go to church expecting a feast and instead I get a rancid soda cracker. Ya know, during priesthood, I used two scriptures to try and make a thought provoking comment. It didn't lead anywhere. I think everyone was flatlined. But afterwards Jonesy made a comment to me that I wish I could recall word for word. Something like, "Boy,lightyears ahead of me." Or something which conveyed the same message. That I made a thoughtful comment which surpassed the scope of the lesson. I didn't know what to say. I do now though, why do you think that is? Because I ponder and study. I ask questions! Please, all y'all do the same! I tried to help the lesson out, it really is between that and leaving. What else can a guy do?

The mysteries of the kingdom are in the scriptures, so I can have all I want even if church is full of slackers who don't magnify, or even try at their callings. How many people have ever read a book on how to teach better? Eh? But the thing is, if people did prepare lessons, we would get something more out of them. Being humble and suffering through mediocrity doesn't bring theophanies.

Further more I went to a sunday school, hoping to provoke some higher brain functions. But the lesson went like this. Teacher assigns scripture. Teacher gives deadpan, monotone, "so basically this is saying" format uninspired commentary. Repeat. Questions? Asking for input on the scripture read? No. I am pretty sure the lesson prep consisted of them asking what lesson they were teaching 30 seconds before the opening prayer. It sucked so bad. So then, (this has got to be the longest comment ever,) we're discussing the Holy Ghost and it is taught that the HG is like the sun. In one place but His influence can be felt anywhere. I ask, how is that possible then? How can He be in one place and yet affect things elsewhere? ? ? Nothing. Dead eyes of a doped up deer in the strobe lights. I was asked to answer the question I posited. I refused so I didn't look like a pompous arse and so we actually have and EDIFYING DISCUSSION!! No one stepped up. I answered my question. And then after another minute exited the room as if I had somewhere to be. NOBODY CARED! We know how the HG works and NOONE CARED TO KNOW! The teacher started to move on reading from the manual after I asked the question! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGG! I hate everyone! I am starting my own church. No wait, I am officially organizing a gospel doctrine class to be held in the foyer where people will come prepared to edify and be edified. Who's with me?

Sephian said...

Hmmm... apparently my first comment didn't get posted. Oh well.

First off, Fedaykin, see you in the foyer.

Next, Papa Bear, when I'm bored on Sundays, I watch Stargate or read D&C. Just a thought.

Ooooooohhhh.... speaking of thoughts. I just had one. I smell a new blog entry comming on.... finally.

Liono said...

A large "amen" to what fedaykin said.
1. D&C 42:13-17
2. D&C 50:17-24
3. D&C 46:9-12, 26, 29

There are definitely days in priesthood where I would give my kidney if the teacher would use a visual aid or some other form to enhance the lesson, but I think it is important to remember that not all have a "natural" talent for teaching and they are growing in their callings. As for those who just don't care and read the lesson out of pure laziness, there is a special level of hell designated for them along with child molesters and those who talk in the theater.
Wow... is that the Eye of Thundera in the sky?... gotta go.... HOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Marisa said...

I sincerely hope that we are not talking about my Sunday School class. I know what you guys are saying because I hate when a teacher reads from the scriptures word for word and does nothing else, but I have trouble getting participation in my class! So, how about this... how about this. How about you all come to my Sunday School class and I won't read word for word and you can participate and ask your thought provoking questions and we will all be happy. If you ARE talking about my class, then I am sorry that you think I am a sucky teacher.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your life is looking up because I have said it before and I will say it again. I am not crazy about this negative and critical Papa Bear. It makes me feel devastatedish. The end.